Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sweets: Zelda Skyward Sword Cake



Will Turnbow and his wife made this cake for their daughter's tenth birthday, and it pretty much puts every other cake you've ever seen to shame.  Modeled after The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the cake includes Skyloft, the Sealed Grounds, the Faron Woods, and a ton of characters  from the game.


"I got my daughter started on her first Zelda game, The Skyward Sword for the Wii. She of course claims it to be the best Zelda ever made....

We had a really hard time coming up with the cake this time. There is so much in the game, it's actually quite hard to decide what goes into the cake. Needless to say I had to cut 90% of the stuff I wanted on there. The original plan included a portion of every map and 4 times more characters :/. I was also not allowed to tape a light blue tablecloth to the wall behind the cake for a more immersive sky effect :(.

The video starts out at Skyloft (the main town of the game) with the shop keeper pedaling around and around waiting for the bell to ring and two other riders flying under the city then it expands outward to Link flying, Scrapper hoisting the pinwheel away from its landing place and Ghirahim hovering up and down over the tornado. Technically Ghirahim never hovers over a tornado but since it was he that produced the wind storm that pulled Zelda below the clouds, I decided to take some creative license there (otherwise I didn't know where to put him). It then pans down to The Sealed Grounds just outside of the Faron Woods. This is another area you spend a fair amount of time in during the game. I was able to put two other baddies in this area, the Deku-Baba and the Octorok. Groose is working on his railway that wraps around the grounds later in the game and his catapult cart is half finished on the ground. Zelda is playing her harp and (young) Impa is standing in front of the temple while the Gate of Time ticks away inside.

Some obvious omissions that were meant to be added were drool on the Deku-Baba and the propeller on Scrapper. I really have no idea how I ran out of time for those two details but I did. I know Impa should be old but I like the younger version more. We were hoping to add more details around the temple using frosting and/or fondant but that mostly went unfinished too. HOWEVER, it turned out super cute and really just what I was going for.

The Temple entrance is 6 batches of Rice Krispies and the backside of the temple is 9 cakes stacked as high as we could make it. The small tower on either side are styrofoam wrapped with fondant. My wife made and painted all of the characters out of clay except for Link (I was able to use my Figma Link). My wife sewed 25 green Link hats as party favors. The girls seemed to like them, we did get our daughter a blue hat for the party from Etsy as we liked the design even though it is more of a LOZTP style."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...